The Yorkshire Terrier & Toy Breed Rescue

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Yorkshire Terrier & Toy Breed Rescue

www.yorkieandtoybreedrescue.co.uk

No further Donations ,Rehoming Forms,or Direct Debits To Rescue until further notice Please.

+2
cowboyz
kilmousk
6 posters

Benji - Special Needs Cavalier (Hope Rescue)

kilmousk
    kilmousk

Benji - Special Needs Cavalier (Hope Rescue) Empty Benji - Special Needs Cavalier (Hope Rescue)

Post by kilmousk Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:00 pm

Benji is a 3 year old Cavalier , he does have his problems which I will explain later, unfortunately we are unsure whether these are entirely behavioural problems or that he may have some sort of neurological problem adding to them. He is on foster in Aberystwyth, West Wales.

Benji - Special Needs Cavalier (Hope Rescue) Benji3

Benji is a complex little guy , please dont be fooled by his looks , and anyone wanting a typical loving Cavalier would be better off looking elsewhere although he can be just that at times. Unfortunately he is very much Jekyll and Hyde in his ways.

Benji can have aggressive moments, which are fairly unpredictable although these have lessened in frequency over time which is why we now believe his problems are more behavioural than medical .
    He seems to be much better with adults than children , as such we will not rehome Benji to a home where he will have any contact with children . Benji needs a firm experienced owner and definitely someone who is home all day as he cannot be left as he will howl and screech. Benji cannot be crated as this brings out the worst in his behaviour!

Benji - Special Needs Cavalier (Hope Rescue) Benji

He can be fine with some dogs , but prefers smaller dogs and has only recently after 9 months in foster started playing with one of the small resident dogs. Although he is fine out and about on walks with the larger resident dogs , he is not in the home and will not be in the same room as them. Benji is not cat or small animal friendly at all .

Basic training is good but definitely basic and in the home Benjis recall is good , however outside is a different matter and he will lose his ability to hear and run and run , especially if there are birds in the sky ...he would chase them as far as he could!

Benji definitely attaches himself to one person and will be extremely loving to them , but to them alone , although he does sometimes surprise us by cuddling up to other members of the family than myself , this is usually shortlived and if they dare move he will growl and show his disapproval!

We wont be looking for a donation for Benji and would even consider a long term foster home for him , but we will be very strict on finding the right place for him.

Benji - Special Needs Cavalier (Hope Rescue) Benji2

All Hope Rescue dogs are neutered, vaccinated, wormed, flea treated and microchipped prior to rehoming. A homecheck will be required, and you will need to come and meet the dog with your own dogs and family. Hope Rescue rehomes throughout the UK. A Pre-Home Interest Form can be downloaded from www.hoperescue.org.uk and should be returned to dogs@hoperescue.org.uk
    cowboyz
    cowboyz
    FORUM BUDDY

Benji - Special Needs Cavalier (Hope Rescue) Empty Re: Benji - Special Needs Cavalier (Hope Rescue)

Post by cowboyz Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:56 pm

Benji - Special Needs Cavalier (Hope Rescue) 556819 that "special home" is out there ..
    rosalie
    rosalie
    The Guru
    The Guru

Benji - Special Needs Cavalier (Hope Rescue) Empty Re: Benji - Special Needs Cavalier (Hope Rescue)

Post by rosalie Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:23 pm

My 2 cavvys will run and run, I was told not to let them off the lead, they do come back and always give a treat when they do, they will take there time though, my daughter makes me walk away from them.

Not saying Benji will or won't do this mine do seem to be obstinate.
    jackie_stout
    jackie_stout
    FORUM BUDDY

Post by jackie_stout Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:44 pm

The 2 I used to have were known to disappear and not come back. They once disappeared for about14 hours and my son ended up finding them at about 9pm on the Fen where we lived!! Notorious for legging it!!
    kilmousk
    kilmousk

Post by kilmousk Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:23 pm

Benji left yesterday for a new life in Scotland. He has been rehomed as a long term foster dog and his costs will be met for life.

Benji is still unpredictable but hopefully his new family can work with his quirks and he will settle down to a new chapter in what could be a wonderful life
    rosalie
    rosalie
    The Guru
    The Guru

Post by rosalie Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:35 pm

jackie_stout wrote:The 2 I used to have were known to disappear and not come back. They once disappeared for about14 hours and my son ended up finding them at about 9pm on the Fen where we lived!! Notorious for legging it!!

I was warned when I got mine they would run, they had children who ran after them which didn't help. Kept them on long leads auntil they got to know us. They do come back when we call and turn in another direction now.
    rosalie
    rosalie
    The Guru
    The Guru

Post by rosalie Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:35 pm

I really hope he will be very happy with his new people. cheers
    tilly790
    tilly790

Post by tilly790 Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:27 pm

Oh good luck to them all..
    kenlescamp
    kenlescamp

Post by kenlescamp Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:16 pm

Yes, good luck and best wishes to them all - a lovely start to the New Year for Benji and his new humans!!

rendeer

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 6:14 am